Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lightning Strike?

This is what our front yard looked like in January.















This is what it looks like today.















A thunderstorm came thru San Antonio last night and apparently lightning struck our beautiful Chinese Pistache tree. Though it is hard to believe it didn't wake either Richard or me. Richard remembers the storm; I slept thru it.

A section of the tree landed on our roof appearing to have only damaged shingles with no structural damage














A close-up of the tree trunk.














The view from our front door.



















There ARE stairs under there.


We will miss our beautiful tree, the shade it provided, and the gorgeous fall color - even if it didn't arrive until November. Maybe the deer aren't so bad. (They came through again last Saturday/Sunday. Enjoyed the geranium blossoms - had waited long enough for a nice selection - and our newly planted impatiens.)

11 comments:

  1. that looks like a lot of clean up - I remember the tree(stick at the time) being planted there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you and your home are ok. It appears to be a beautiful tree even split into thirds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm almost speechless. First, I can't believe how big that tree had grown. Second, was it discovered when Dad opened the front door to leave for work? What a shock! Terribly amusing in my mind. Third, I can't believe it didn't wake either of you up. I remember when lighting hit the tree across the street when I was a kid. (Is it the Jackson's? - Michael was the boy's name my age. Jackson can't be right.) Anyway, the thunder was so loud the vibrations knocked me out of my bed in that front room. I was just thinking about that yesterday with the pansy thunder we have here in UT. Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing. That is really wild. Okay, so maybe "speechless" wasn't the right word. More like... "inspired to ramble".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike said, "Wow, I wish I could have that firewood. If I lived there I would come take care of that for them."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I've seen pictures like that before, but never at the home of someone I knew! I'm glad the two of you are OK, and so is the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fmaily name is James - you got the first letter correct. Wish Mike could have the firewood too. It's going to cost us $400 to have the treecut down and wood hauled away. Richard cut enough branches this evening that we can now use the stairs and front door. Richard discovered the tree when he looked out the front window when eating breakfast - after he had started a load of laundry and checked on the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is funny, and not so funny at the same time. Funny that it took so long to notice and not so funny because it is a beautiful tree, and will cost money to repair the damage done. Makes for an interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about the tree. But thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm glad you and Uncle Richard are okay and hope the house is too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sight to wake up too! I'm glad that you took pictures and sad that you have such a mess. It looked like such a nice tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sad :( I can't believe it. Glad you were all ok! Thanks for the stories about G'ma Bessie! I enjoyed them so!

    ReplyDelete