Saturday, January 30, 2010

THE Wing Chair

Awhile ago driving to work I saw a decent-looking wing chair in a garage sale. I phoned Richard and suggested he go look at it. It was $3. He decided we couldn't go too far wrong at that price and bought it. It cleaned up fairly decently.


Then came our living room remodel. Chair was good but the fabric was an eyesore in our beautiful new room. So we tackled the project.


With Janet's help we have a lovely new chair. (The fabric has a definite nap to it so it looks different depending on how the light hits it.)

We are pleased with the chair. (It is no longer a $3 chair!)

And I have two bits of advice to all who might consider a similar project. 1. Dining chairs and couches are one thing; a wing chair is an entirely different animal - best left to experts. 2. NEVER tackle a project like this during the holidays.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. That is an awesome looking chair! I'm hoping to score some good chairs on craigs list or a garage sale this year to put in my front room. But...I do not anticipate purchasing anything that would be that big of a fix up. Something more along the lines of a nice dining room type chair for a little sitting area. Nothing major. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it turned out great. It fits in so nicely with your new room. Will you let anyone sit in it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting wasis okay. But putting my purse or something else on it so it would be handy when we walked out the door took awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm impressed with the transformation! I love the fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so great. You guys did it yourselves? Did you follow any pattern or did you just wing it (no pun intended)? I have two wing back chairs I bought off craigslist and I'm wanting to do something with them. I just might be crazy enough to try to cover them on my own. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Mom. That is really gorgeous. I'd say it's an 8 cow chair now. ;)

    ReplyDelete