Friday, January 2, 2009

Camellias

Camellias remind me of my father. My father enjoyed camellias. He raised many lovely camellias, especially when we lived in Orangevale. He chose some of his prize blossoms to make corsages for us to wear to church. He seemed to be especially pleased with one called "Dinner Plate" - aptly named because of its size - and would choose that one in particular for my mother.





Camellias are a challenge to grow in San Antonio because their soil requirements and San Antonio's soil are not compatible. So I have a couple of plants I grow with marginal success in pots. Today the first blossom on one of the plants fully opened. I wanted to share its beauty. After taking a picture of it on the plant, I picked it and put it in the attractive vase we received this Christmas. They are a winning combination.

5 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I miss Grandpa and many plants and trees remind me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. My mom was quite interested in growing flowers at one point, and we had a lot of African violets. I like plants, but am too nomadic right now to do them justice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! I made a comment earlier on your first birthday post congratulating you on your blog, etc. I have just returned home from my trip to Wyoming and Colorado, so I'm catching up. Good to have a blog to keep up on what you're doing. Enjoyed your Christmas letter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been contemplating adding a camelia bush to our landscaping (which hasn't been started yet). I'll have to go shopping for camelias with blooms on them. Trying to remember my favorite! I do have 6 azaelas to plant which remind me of Daddy. What an unusual slate rock vase from Seattle (in case you wondered).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea you had a blog!!! Now I will be checking. I clearly remember John's wedding and the decorations that you made and taught me to make. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete