Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nativity Collection

This may seem an odd time to post pictures of my nativity collection but who's to say I'm not odd. I have finished the finish/trim painting in the family room and the next on my priority list is to put Christmas decorations away. Before I did I wanted to get some pictures of my collection - or at least part of it. I hope you enjoy.

The top center nativity is from China made from bamboo. The pewter set next to it is from Ireland. The ceramic set just below is from the Dominican Republic. Below that is the olive wood set from Israel. Directly below that are three nativities made in Peru. The set on the bottom left is from Columbia. Just above it is a silver nativity from Mexico. The very colorful set in the middle is a marzipan set from Ecuador.

The white display at the bottom is a reminder of Elder Jeffery R. Holland's writing in his booklet "Christmas Comfort:"

“The true meaning, the unique and lasting and joyous meaning of the birth of this baby, would be in the life he would lead and especially in his death, in his triumphant atoning sacrifice …and in his prison-bursting resurrection.

“It is the life at the other end of the manger scene that gives this moment of nativity in Bethlehem its ultimate meaning. Special as this child was and divine as was his conception, without that day of salvation wherein he would gain an everlasting victory over death and hell on behalf of every man, woman, and child who would ever be born – until that day should come – this baby’s life and mission would not be complete.” Jeffrey R. Holland, Christmas Comfort, pp. 3 – 4.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Those are great! John and I have yet to find one to buy that we both love. My parents had the Olive Wood set when I was growing up and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I thought I had a lot of nativity scenes! Those are pretty cool. Nice display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to look around when I am in the Philippines, as I notice you don't have one from there yet. Well see if they have any that aren't made in China.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice nativities...the one on the bottom left is from Colombia, not Bolivia btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Janet. I'll make the correction in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pictures. I have several sets that are similar, but some that are different, too. I should take pictures of mine sometime. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have quite a collection! They only thing I collect is junk--and state quqrters, of which I have all 50. Can't believe I did that, and I'm not sure why I did.

    ReplyDelete