Thursday, January 29, 2009

Who Is Our Benefactor?

There was a loud knock on our front door, followed soon by another knock - sterotypical deliveryman knock. Sure enough there was a delivery man standing on the other side of the door. I needed to sign for a package. As I was signing he mentioned that it was from Israel. That was news to me - I hadn't ordered anything from Israel. I checked the package and it was clearly addressed to us and was from Jerusalem. I opened the box to discover this beautiful Bethlehem Olive Wood nativity from the Bethelehm Masters Collection. The tall pieces are about 7 1/2". The carving is very detailed. It is far too beautiful to keep packed away for 11 months each year. I am hoping to put a mirror behind the set to reflect the back of the pieces and make the area brighter. To whom do we owe our gratitude?

Thought you might enjoy these close ups.







6 comments:

  1. Sorry, I forgot to warn you that it might be showing up. We have a supplier of Bethlehem Olive Wood who I was talking to one day. I happened to mention that my mom really liked nativities, and so he made me give him your address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have mentioned their website so that you could see some of their other work. We get the raw materials, but they do many excellent carvings. The URL is http://www.bethlehemmasters.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is gorgeous. I'm glad Jared put the website--I might want to think about augmenting my olive wood nativity. I leave mine out all year, too. They are gorgeous and definitely worthy of year-round display.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mystery is solved. I wondered if Jared had some connection as I wandered their website and found olive wood blanks. It was VERY generous of Craft Supplies supplier. Jared, the next time you talk to him please express my appreciation and delight.

    Bethlehem Masters has many beautiful creations from olive wood - not limited to nativities. It is well worth a look at their website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful nativity. Mike laughling just asked me if Jared needed my address! (I have a set from Bethlehem from Mother.) I'm glad you are going to keep it up all year.

    ReplyDelete